Sunday, September 16, 2007

Oprah endorses Obama

So the big news last week was Oprah's endorsement of Obama for president. What does that mean?

As the article so eloquently states, Oprah's endorsement of everything from books to beauty products to snacks(think of her "Favorite Things" shows) lead to great success for the authors and companies that produce the products. What will her endorsement of a political candidate do for him?

She's stated she won't have any of the other candidates on her show. In one way, I can understand that, but in another, I have issues with it. No, hers is not a news show, but let's face it, a LOT of women get "news" about current events from her show. Is it a matter of manipulating the flow or information for the critical female demographic?

Or will it matter at all? I rarely watch Oprah's show these days. Her endorsement doesn't matter to me any more than it would matter to me what Britney Spears said about a politician. I just really don't care what celebrities think. I can make up my own mind.

My big question is this--what happens if Obama does NOT win the nomination? Will Oprah then let the Democratic candidate on her show? I just wonder what that will be like.

No comments: