Friday, June 22, 2007

Someone Save Us!

In the fall of 1992, I was 22 and pregnant with my first child. Our country was a mess--so I felt. We needed someone to save us. Along came Bill. A young man from Hope, Arkansas brought much needed hope to us all. With Bill, came Hillary, of course.

Perhaps it was my pregnancy hormones, but I remember feeling desperate for someone to save our country back then. These days, I can't blame it on the hormones. I think we need someone to save us now even more!

The Clintons and the Gores were young. They had energy. They had ideas. They had beautiful families. Heck, they even had the perfect campaign song! Even today, everytime I hear "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" I'm drawn back to the night of November 3, 1992. They did bring us hope. Things DID get better under the Clinton administration. Our lives were better.

The past seven years with the current administration have dragged me down. I feel more desperation today than I did in 1992. I don't know if our problems can be fixed. I know it won't be easy. I don't know who the person to fix our country is, but I can honestly say that when I see Hillary on the campaign trail, I get that twinge of hope I felt almost 15 years ago. I'm starting to believe in her. I'm starting to think she can fix things, but I just don't know if the rest of America will give her the chance to do it.

I want to hope again. I want someone to listen to the conscience of this country. I want a leader who will work with others and not alienate the world. We NEED someone to save us. I think of the Dixie Chicks song, "I Hope." I hope for better things for our country and our children. I need someone to help give me the feeling that my hopes and dreams can come true. Who will be the one to save us this time?

No comments: